Borrowing Policy and Procedures
- Massachusetts residents are entitled to free library services and may apply for a borrower's card in person at the library.
- Residents of other states may also obtain a Dickinson Memorial Library card.
- Each adult borrower is held responsible for all items charged out on his/her card.
- Parent/guardian signature is required for children under 18 years of age. The parent/guardian will be responsible for the appropriateness of materials, including electronic information, and for payment of charges incurred with the card.
- To qualify for a library card an applicant must show an ID with proof of current address. Children under 18 years of age must have the signature of a parent or guardian.
- A replacement card may be obtained for $1.00.
These loan periods have been developed in conjunction with the C/W MARS Standard Loan Guidelines.
- Books, audiobooks and kits circulate for 21 days with 1 renewal.
- Designated "New" materials circulate for 14 days with 1 renewal.
- Videos, magazines, and CD ROMs circulate for 7 days with 1 renewal.
- Museum passes circulate for 24 hours.
- Materials received through InterLibrary Loan will follow the policies of the lending library.
Patrons may borrow up to 50 items at any given time. However, in order to assure that there is sufficient information or materials available in a given format, we ask that all patrons respect the needs of other borrowers.
These fees have been developed in conjunction with the C/W MARS Standard Fine Guidelines.
- Books, audiobooks, kits, and magazines accrue fines at the rate of 5¢ a day, up to $2.00 per item.
- Videos accrue fines at the rate of $1.00, a day up to $5.00 per item.
- Patrons will lose borrowing privileges when fines total $10.00.
Lost or Damaged Materials
Materials that are 28 days overdue are considered lost and will be billed in conjunction with C/W MARS policy.
Lost materials that were the property of the Dickinson Memorial Library: Patrons will be expected to replace any lost or damaged materials. They may choose to:
- replace the lost material with an exact copy.
- replace the lost material with equivalent material as approved by the Director or Assistant Librarian
- pay the replacement cost.
Lost materials that were the property of other C/W MARS libraries will follow the C/W MARS Lost Book Payment Policy.
Lost materials borrowed through InterLibrary Loan will follow the policies of the lending Library.